Te Wairoa, also known as The Buried Village is located close to the shore of Lake Tarawera in New Zealand's North Island. It was a Māori and European settlement where visitors would stay on their way to visit the Pink and White Terraces. The village was destroyed by the eruption of the volcano Mount Tarawera on June 10, 1886. At least 100 people died in the eruption, many of them in other villages closer to the volcano.
The Buried Village today is open to the public and shows the excavated ruins of the village, recovered relics on display in a world-class museum and the history of the eruption. It is located 14 kilometers southeast of Rotorua on Tarawera Road.
hotel destroyed by the eruption of the volcano Mount Tarawera
site of the hotel
Around three to four generations of the Smith Family have had ownership of the land at Te Wairoa. The First Geration of the Smith family bought the site of Te Wairoa from the first missionary, Rev. Seymour, at Te Wairoa. From then on the Smith family have run the excavating of Te Wairoa.
volcanic materials and a model of the white terrace
sewing machine grown into a tree
letter from Margaret
Return to the Rotorua page
People and Places