Chilton is a city in Calumet County in the U.S. state of Wisconsin. The city is the county seat of Calumet County. The population was 3,708 at the 2000 census. The city is located partially within the Town of Chilton.
The first resident of Chilton was Moses Stanton in January 1845. The city formed around his a saw mill and a grist mill a few years later. The village was originally called Stantonville. John Marygold bought the place in 1852 and called it "Chilington", referencing his native town Chilington in England. He sent a verbal message to have the name change recorded in Stockbridge, the then county seat. The middle -ing- in the name was accidentally missed and the municipality was recorded as Chilton.
Text from Wikipedia
Return to Wisconsin page
People and Places