bridge over Lake Galvé to
(built by Vytautas about 1400)
(Photo from 1995)
the castle in 2007
More Photos of the Castle
eels for sale
a Baroque building
More Photos of the town of Trakai
a favorite spot for Wedding Photos
Kaunas (Russian Kovno), city in central Lithuania, a port at the confluence of the Neman (Nemunas) and Neris (Viliya) rivers. In the city, which is an industrial and commercial center, textiles, processed food, metal goods, and machinery are produced. Kaunas is the site of an agricultural school, a polytechnic institute, and several museums.
15th century German merchant house
Among its many points of historical interest are the ruins of a 14th-century castle, the Lithuanian-Gothic Vytautas Church (15th century), and a 17th-century monastery.
old town hall
(Wedding chapel during Soviet days)
Probably founded by AD1000, Kaunas was fortified (13th to 14th centuries) against the Teutonic Knights by the Lithuanians. It passed to Poland in the late 16th century and was acquired by Russia as a result of the third partition (1795) of Poland.
From 1920 to 1940 the city served as the capital of independent Lithuania. During World War II (1939-1945) Kaunas was annexed (1940) by the USSR, but subsequently was occupied (1941-1944) by the Germans, who exterminated much of its population. Kaunas belonged to the Lithuanian SSR from 1944 to 1991, when it became part of a newly independent Lithuania. Population (1999 estimate) 414,199.
Text from Microsoft Encarta
statue of Maironia
(priest and poet)
statue of Liberty
a catholic church
Return to Lithuania page
Return to People and Places