The Phillips Collection
The Phillips Collection is an art museum founded by Duncan Phillips in 1921 as the Phillips Memorial Gallery located in the Dupont Circle neighborhood of Washington, D.C. Phillips was the grandson of James H. Laughlin, a banker and co-founder of the Jones and Laughlin Steel Company
Beginning with a small family collection of paintings, Phillips, a published art critic, expanded the collection dramatically. A specially built room over the north wing of the family home provided a public gallery space. With the collection exceeding 600 works and facing public demand, the Phillips family moved to a new home in 1930, turning the entire 21st Street residence into an art museum.
Admiral David G. Farragut is a
bronze statue, by Vinnie Ream.
It is located at Farragut Square, N.W. Washington D.C. It was sponsored by an act of Congress, authorizing $20,000 on April 16, 1872. Vinnie (Ream) Hoxie was selected based on her Lincoln statue the prior year. It was dedicated April 25, 1881, by President and Mrs. James A. Garfield
People and Places