The monastery complex, regarded as one of the foremost masterpieces of Bulgarian National Revival architecture, was declared a national historical monument in 1976 and became a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1983.
The erection of the residential
buildings began in 1816, while a belfry was added to the Tower of Hrelyu in 1844. Neofit Rilski
founded a school in the monastery during the period.
Return to Gila Monastery page
People and Places