Yerevan, also Erivan or Erevan, capital and largest city of Armenia, on the Hrazdan River, near Turkey. Situated in a scenic region noted for its orchards and vineyards, the city is an industrial, transportation, and cultural center.
Soviet style train station
Manufactures include chemicals, primary metals, machinery, rubber products, plastics, textiles, and processed food. A center of Armenian culture, Yerevan is the site of Yerevan State University (1920), the Armenian Academy of Sciences, a historical museum, an opera house, a music conservatory, and several technical institutes.
(Mother Armenia on hill above)
The Matenadaran archives hold a rich collection of valuable ancient Armenian manuscripts. Yerevan has several large public libraries, a number of museums and theaters, and botanical and zoos. Yerevan is also the site of the ruins of a Roman fortress, of a 16th-century Turkish fort, and of an 18th-century mosque.
National Art and History Gallery
Archaeologists have uncovered the remains of an Urartu fortress and a city built on the site of Yerevan in the 8th century BC. After being controlled, at various times, by the Romans, Parthians, Arabs, and others, the city was incorporated into the empire of the Turkic conqueror Tamerlane in 1387.
New Private Ethic Restaurant
In the 15th century Yerevan came under Persian rule, and from the 16th to 18th century it passed back and forth between Persia and Turkey. In 1827 it was captured by Russia from Persia. Yerevan was the capital of independent Armenia from 1918 to 1920 and of Soviet Armenia from 1920 to 1991. Population (1990 estimate) 1,202,000.
art by Yervand Kochar
Return to Armenia page
Return to Middle East page
Return to People and places