WHITE SULPHUR SPRINGS, WV 24986
Throughout the 19th century, The Greenbrier was the southern summer resort. Guests came to use the mineral water, to enjoy the mountain climate and to mingle with the famous of the day.
the mineral water spring
Today many of the original cottages
are preserved as guest accommodations, although enlarged and modernized. In
1913, the central Georgian section of The Greenbrier opened on a year-round
basis, with golf and tennis as featured attractions. Subsequent additions to
this National Historic Landmark have refined the hotelís architecture to reflect
the Colonial Virginia style. Following use as an army hospital during World War
II, the hotelís interior was redecorated by Dorothy Draper.
Return to West Virginia page
People and Places