Cana Island light

Baileys Harbor light Baileys Harbor Range Lights Cana Island light Eagle Bluff Light Sturgeon Bay Canal lighthouse

Cana Island lighthouse


Cana Island lighthouse

The Cana Island lighthouse is a lighthouse located just north of Baileys Harbor in Door County, Wisconsin.


Currently used as an active navigational aid under the jurisdiction of the United States Coast Guard and a museum, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1976, as reference #76000201. This lighthouse, along with the Baileys Harbor Range Lights, was built to replace the Baileys Harbor Lighthouse in 1869, and was first lit in 1870.


The keepers quarters, privy, and tower were the first buildings and were made of cream city brick, but the brick of the tower deteriorated quickly because of storms and icy winters. In 1902, a steel cladding was added to the tower to protect it from further deterioration. The cost of the quarters, tower and cladding was $12,792.55.


Fresnel lens



The light itself is a third order Fresnel lens that was made in France. It used to be fueled by lard or whale oil, later it was fueled by kerosene, then by acetylene, and now by electricity. The round ball at the top is the vent that removed the smoke and soot from the oil lamp. Each night oil had to be carried to the top of the tower by the keeper or his assistant to keep the light fueled. When the light first became electric in 1945, it was by an engine driven, 2 kW generator, and batteries that powered the 100 watt, 32 volt bulb. A power line was finally installed in the 1960s, and the bulb was switched to a 110 volt, 200 watt bulb. Four bulbs are mounted in a rack that allows for the next bulb to light if the one before it burns out.


octagon-shaped oil house, storage building and privy

An octagon-shaped oil house, storage building and privy are also located at the site. An oil tank had been in the woods to the south of the building and a pipe underground moved the oil to the building.





The lighthouse is located on the 8.7-acre (35,000 m2) Cana Island connected to the mainland via a rocky channel. Depending on the lake level the channel can be covered with 1-2 feet of cold Lake Michigan water. Originally, only wood walkways on top of rocks and a little dirt covered the area around the buildings. But starting in 1900 top soil was hauled in by a crew of men with eight teams of horses and wagons and six weeks later they were ready to begin covering the area with grass. There is a Stone sea wall on the east end of the island.


path off the island

Before 1889, the first assistants were spouses or family members. Patrick Chambers was the first non-family member assistant. When electricity came to the island an assistant was no longer needed.



The tower is 89 feet (27 m) tall in all. 79 feet (24 m), 3 inches from ground level to focal plane of the light. The light is approximately 85 feet (26 m) above water level, and has a visual range of 18 miles (29 km). The Stone foundation goes below ground 4 feet (1.2 m) and is set on bedrock. The tower is 4 feet (1.2 m), 8 inches thick at the base with the outer layer 24 inches (610 mm) thick with a 20-inch (510 mm) air space between it and the 12-inch (300 mm) inner layer of brick at the base. Ten feet from the top it narrows to a 16-inch (410 mm) thickness with a 4-inch (100 mm) airspace and 8-inch (200 mm) inner layer. There are 102 cast iron steps in the circular staircase leading to the watch room.


historic shipwreck



October 15, 1880 a terrible storm called the Alpena Gale destroyed seven ships near this lighthouse, and on October 12, 1928, the freighter M.J. Bartelme went aground in the fog at this location after attempts to free the ship failed.


* William Sanderson 1882
* Conrad A. Stram 1913-1918
* Oscar R. Knudsen 1918-1924
* Michael Drezdon 1941-1945
* Rosie and Louie Janda 1977-1995

Ross and Grace Wright


Cana Island Light

Location: Near Baileys Harbor, Wisconsin


Year first lit: 1870
Automated: 1945

Foundation: Dressed Stone
Construction: Cream City brick enclosed by a steel shell in 1902
Tower shape: Cylindrical

Height: 89 feet (27 m)

Original lens: Third order Fresnel lens

Range: 18 statute miles

Characteristic: White, Flashing

Text from Wikipedia






Keeper's Office


Keeper's Quarters



stairway to light





service shed


The Lighthouses of the Great Lakes

Baileys Harbor light Baileys Harbor Range Lights Cana Island light Eagle Bluff Light Sturgeon Bay Canal lighthouse

Baileys Harbor Björklunden Vid Sjön Lighthouses

World Heritage Mosaics Roman World Africa Antarctica Asia Atlantic Islands Australia Caribbean Central America Europe Indian Ocean Middle East North America Pacific Islands South America The Traveler Recent Adventures Adventure Travel


People and Places