Baileys Harbor lighthouse
Baileys Harbor Lighthouse
The Baileys Harbor lighthouse is a lighthouse located near Baileys Harbor in Door County, Wisconsin.
Replaced by the Baileys Harbor Range Lights and the Cana Island Lighthouse in 1869. It is one of a few lighthouses in the country to have retained its bird-cage lantern.
A bird-cage lantern was the style of lantern common to American lighthouses in the early years of the nineteenth century. The lanterns received their name because of their appearance; they are shaped like wire bird cages.
When Fresnel lenses were introduced to the country in the 1850s, most lighthouses were retrofitted with new lanterns, as the older ones could not support the new style of lens. Consequently, only four lighthouses with original bird-cage lanterns survive in the United States; those that do were discontinued before they could be fitted for the new lantern.
Baileys Harbor Light
Location: Baileys Harbor, Wisconsin
Original lens: Sixth order Fresnel lens
Text from Wikipedia
as seen from the lighthouse tour boat
marker for the site of the "Christina Nilson" shipwreck
leaving the island
People and Places