Norman Mosaics in Sicily
More Photos of La Martorana mosaics
In Palermo, Sicily, the Norman kings in the 12th century installed mosaics in the Duomo (Cathedral), the Cappella Palatina, the Martorana, the Palazzo Reale, and the Palazzo della Zisa. Other Norman mosaics embellish the interior walls of the great churches at Cefalý (1148 and later) and Monreale (1180-90); in both churches the sanctuary walls are covered with cycles of biblical scenes and, in the apse, powerful figures of Christ and saints in bright-colored glass and stone against gold backgrounds.
Text from Microsoft Encarta
the apse at Monreale
More Photos of the Mosaics of Monreale
More Photos of the Cefalý Mosaics
People and Places