Apartments

Apartments Gaudi Museum Roof

Apartments

El Pis de la Pedrera

 

interior door of Casa Mila

Commissioned by the industrialist Pere MilÓ and his wife, Casa MilÓ, also known as La Pedrera (the Quarry; a name it gets from its rippling gray stone facade) was built by GaudÝ between 1906 and 1910. What is amazing is the almost wavelike pattern of the stone facade highlighted by the wrought iron balconies, each of which is different from the others. For many years, this remarkable building was left to fall apart, but UNESCO declared it a World Heritage Site in 1984 and the Caixa de Catalunya (a big bank in this region of Spain) stepped in and bought the building in 1986. After 10 years of restoration, it was finally opened to the public in 1996 as a Cultural Center and it has quickly developed into one of the most important cultural places in Barcelona.

 

entrance to El Pis

El Pis, one of the flats now open to the public and decorated as it would have been when the building was first occupied.

 

umbrella stand

 

parlor

 

telephone

 

poster

 

dining area

 

sleeping room

 

 

 

bath room

 

looking out the window

 

business office

 

coupon bond

 

travel trunk

 

gentleman's bath room

 

maid's quarters

 

wash room

 

sewing room

 

kitchen

 

pantry

 

 

 

storage

 

children's room

 

child room

 

bed textile

 

formal hall

 

classic bust


Apartments Gaudi Museum Roof

Aquarium Architecture Art Museums Barri Gotic Casa Mila Chocolate Museum Elderhostel Harbor History Museum Maritime Museum Market Palau dela Musica Parc Guell Rambla Sagrada Familia Spanish Village Textile Museum

World Heritage Mosaics Roman World Africa Antarctica Asia Atlantic Islands Australia Caribbean Central America Europe Indian Ocean Middle East North America Pacific Islands South America The Traveler Recent Adventures Adventure Travel

 

People and Places