Photos from 1990
seafront next to Saint George hotel
lighthouse monument on water front
memorial to an English man
(Belize was formerly British Honduras,
a mahogany wood exporting colony)
Belize City, city in eastern Belize, in Belize District, at the mouth of the Belize River, on the Caribbean Sea. It is the country's chief seaport, and timber, wood products, sugar, fish, citrus fruit, and bananas are exported here. Major industries are saw milling, food processing, and fishing. Of note are Saint Johnís Anglican Cathedral and Government House (both early 19th century).
Located in an area where the Maya peoples once flourished, Belize City was settled in the early 17th century by British adventurers. In 1884 it became the capital of British Honduras (renamed Belize in 1973).
Saint John's Anglican Church
buildings from the colonial times
government offices in Belmopan
The low-lying city, which is vulnerable to hurricanes, was officially replaced by Belmopan as the capital of Belize in 1972. Population (1994 estimate) 50,000.
Belize City harbor
Photos taken on revisit in 2011
Return to Belize country page
Return to People and Places