Cathedral

Cathedral Old Town

Cathedral

of

Alexander Nevsky

 

Alexander Nevsky Cathedral

The Alexander Nevsky Cathedral is an orthodox church in the Tallinn Old Town, Estonia. It was built to a design by Mikhail Preobrazhensky in a typical Russian Revival style between 1894 and 1900, during the period when the country was part of the Russian Empire. The Alexander Nevsky Cathedral is Tallinnís largest and grandest orthodox cupola cathedral. It is dedicated to Saint Alexander Nevsky who in 1242 won the Battle of the Ice on Lake Peipus, in the territorial waters of present-day Estonia. The current Russian patriarch, Alexis II, started his priestly ministry in the church.

 

 

 

 


The Alexander Nevsky Cathedral crowns the hill of Toompea where the Estonian folk hero Kalevipoeg is said to have been buried according to a legend. (It should be noted that there are many such legendary burial places of him in Estonia.) The cathedral is disliked by many Estonians as a reminder of Russian occupation. The Estonian authorities scheduled the cathedral for demolition in 1924, but the decision was never implemented. The church has been meticulously restored since Estonia regained independence from the Soviet Union in 1991.

Text from Wikipedia

 

 

 

 

 

ladies at the cathedral steps

 

 

waiting for alms in their cups

 

contribution being made

 

and on to the next

 

 


Cathedral Old Town

Countryside Tallinn

World Heritage Mosaics Roman World Africa Antarctica Asia Atlantic Islands Australia Caribbean Central America Europe Indian Ocean Middle East North America Pacific Islands South America The Traveler Recent Adventures Adventure Travel

 

People and Places